Reporter: Paul J. Gately
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
GATESVILLE (June 22, 2011)–The Coryell County Grand Jury declined Tuesday to indict the mother of two twin boys killed in a fire on Thanksgiving night near the Slater Community.
Coryell County District Attorney David Castillo said Crystal Lee Coleman will not be charged in the deaths of 2-year-old twins Trevor Ray and Leland Nolan Coleman.
Preliminary autopsy results showed the twins, who would have turned 3 just five days after their deaths, died of thermal burns and smoke inhalation.
The fire broke out just after 10 p.m. Thanksgiving night in a portable building that had been converted into a guest room behind a residence in the 400 block of Star Lane, off County Road 139, about 17 miles west of Gatesville.
Authorities suspect a butane heater ignited the fire.
When the fire broke out, the twins’ mother and her boyfriend, Lloyd Wayne Fulfer, were in the house at the same address where the boyfriend’s mother lives, Coryell County Justice of the Peace Jimmy Wood said.
At the time of the fire, Coleman was in the process of moving from Clifton to Lorena, where she had a new job, the sheriff’s office said.
She was taken to Coryell Memorial Hospital where she was treated for burns she received while trying to lift up the roof of the building to reach the twins.
She was later released.